Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Axes (the plural of axis) seems to be used there as a synonym for routes or highways. Chernihiv lies north of Kyiv and Sumy east.

I'm not sure what "effort along" means.

This follow-up question has me a bit puzzled.

Subject: the Russian attack on Kyiv.

Verb: consists of.

Object: three efforts from three different directions.

Does that help?

They seem to have their own ways of saying things. Or maybe they use military jargon.

I'm not sure if "effort" means "a serious attempt" or "a piece of hard work" and if "along" means "in the course of".

No. Reread post #5.

I've read it but I'm not sure.

They're talking about another brigade or battalion or whatever. In other words, additional military personnel to support those already mentioned.

Note that there are two efforts (or attempts) to circle the city at the same time - the main one coming from the west, supported (assisted) by a 2nd attempt coming from both the north and east simultaneously.

Because the attacking forces have yet to accomplish the goal of encircling Kyiv and are having some difficulty doing so, it's referred to as an 'effort' - a word which highlights the difficulty the attacking force is having.

edit: Thanks, probus.

Last edited:
Minor correction: it should read north and east (rather than south).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back