Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Can I use "spectacle" in my sentence?

"A surgery is not a spectacle for everyone. Everyone has a different psyche."

I mean it can affect some people and it's not for everyone.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Do you mean it's not something everybody wants to watch?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Do you mean it's not something everybody wants to watch?
Exactly. I mean it may affect some people's mental health. Does "psyche" sound idiomatic?

Given that an operation (not 'a surgery') can normally be seen only by the medical staff involved, this seems to be a strange thing to want to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. I mean it may affect some people's mental health. Does "psyche" sound idiomatic?
People don't watch that sort of thing by accident. However, if you want to say that I suppose "psyche" would work as well as anything.

Given that an operation (not 'a surgery') can normally be seen only by the medical staff involved, this seems to be a strange thing to want to say.
I have watched such TV programs. And surgeries too.

People don't watch that sort of thing by accident. However, if you want to say that I suppose "psyche" would work as well as anything.
So I don't have to change the original sentence, do I? I added "an operation" and left "a spectacle".

"A surgery/an operation is not a spectacle for everyone. Everyone has a different psyche.

I have watched such TV programs. And surgeries too.
I am fairly sure it was voluntary on your part. I am also fairly sure that you didn't have the same viewpoint as the surgeon.

So I don't have to change the original sentence, do I? I added "an operation" and left "a spectacle".

"A surgery/an operation is not a spectacle for everyone. Everyone has a different psyche.
Try: "Not everybody wants to watch an operation. It makes some people queasy."

I am fairly sure it was voluntary on your part. I am also fairly sure that you didn't have the same viewpoint as the surgeon.
Yes, and that's why I said that it's not a spectacle for everyone. Do I have to change my sentence in post 7?

Try: "Not everybody wants to watch an operation. It makes some people queasy."
So I should not use "a surgery", "a spectacle" and "a psyche"? It's better to rephrase them. Right?

Yes, and that's why I said that it's not a spectacle for everyone. Do I have to change my sentence in post 7?
You should. The original doesn't make much sense.

(I would always respond the same way to a "Do I have to?" question.)

So I should not use "a surgery", "a spectacle" and "a psyche"? It's better to rephrase them. Right?
You could probably work "surgery" in there, but I don't see any use for the others. Perhaps: "Not everybody wants to watch surgery being performed. It makes them queasy."

I wouldn't use surgery, spectacle or psyche.

Say it in simple language. How about:

Not everyone can bear the sight of an operation.
Watching an operation is not everyone's cup of tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back