Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A clip from a TOEFL listening practice on ETS.com. ETS stands for Educational Testing Service.

..., “In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,”...

Is it a Shakespeare's era British English voice?

Last edited:
By voice I guess you mean accent. If so, the answer is no. It sounds to me like a modern British RP accent.

Is it a Shakespearean-era British English voice?
As there are no recordings, no one knows for certain how people spoke in Shakespeare's time.

This is a language forum other than a logic one. I know that there are no mechanic, magnetic, or digital sound recording devices at that time. That voice sounds odd to me, and I assume that the professor wants to imitate the voice of Shakespeare's time.
Language is not as accurate as mathematics.
Be patient with an English learner.

The person is speaking with a theatrical voice. It's the sort of voice we associate with actors on stage. I would say it's not limited to Shakespeare plays. It's old-fashioned and serious, but not limited to Shakespeare.

I have heard actors from northern England say that Shakespeare's lines seem more natural if they use their native accents rather than received pronunciation.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back