Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
In passivising (61)–(64) to become (81)–(84), not only have the Direct Objects of active sentences become the Subjects of passive sentences, another change has occurred: the Indirect Objects have ended up in phrases beginning with to: to the boys, to her, to the
student and to us.

That's not a question sentence.

Why is have the Direct Objects of active sentences become then, and not Direct Objects of active sentences [B]have become[/B]?

If that's not a question sentence, in what cases an auxiliary verb like have precedes the subject of the sentence? (Like when would we use have somebody done?)

In passivising (61)–(64) to become (81)–(84), not only have the Direct Objects of active sentences become the Subjects of passive sentences, another change has occurred: the Indirect Objects have ended up in phrases beginning with to: to the boys, to her, to the
student and to us.

That's not a question sentence.

Why is have the Direct Objects of active sentences become then, and not Direct Objects of active sentences [B]have become[/B]?

If that's not a question sentence, in what cases an auxiliary verb like have precedes the subject of the sentence? (Like when would we use have somebody done?)
Please use quotation marks. I could probably work out what your question means, but I don't have the time now. ;-)

b

After "not only" you generally change the word order.

Not only will you visit historic sites, but you'll also...
Not only am I angry, I'm disaapointed as well.
Not only have these become subjects...

Last edited:
Boy, that reply really stunk!

(Fixed now. I really, really should just STOP typing on my phone!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back