Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there a term for a pizza that is elastic like this?

mr-jim-s-sticky-fingers.jpg

And how do you describe what happens?

You grab a slice and then...

I need a verb.

It's not an elastic pizza!! It's a pizza with very "stretchy/stringy cheese".

American?

Italian-style pizzas don't tend to do that so much, as they generally have less cheese.

Why don't you have a go at the sentence? We'll tell you how to improve it. Focus on the cheese, rather than the pizza as a whole.

American?

Italian-style pizzas don't tend to do that so much, as they generally have less cheese.

Why don't you have a go at the sentence? We'll tell you how to improve it. Focus on the cheese, rather than the pizza as a whole.

What I want right now is to order a pizza with very stretchy cheese. I grab a slice a then the cheese stretches slow and smooth. And then I will savor every bite.

It's mozzarella cheese that does that.

What I want right now is to order a pizza with very stretchy cheese. I grab a slice a then the cheese stretches slow and smooth. And then I will savor every bite.

Is my sentence good?

There are three sentences, which don't fit together.

What is it that you want to do exactly? If you want to describe the cheese, use the adjective stringy. If you want to find a verb that is so specific that it relates to how mozzarella cheese behaves when it's stretched, then you won't one because there isn't one. Or do you just want to compose a short passage about picking up a slice of pizza?

There are three sentences, which don't fit together.

What is it that you want to do exactly? If you want to describe the cheese, use the adjective stringy. If you want to find a verb that is so specific that it relates to how mozzarella cheese behaves when it's stretched, then you won't one because there isn't one. Or do you just want to compose a short passage about picking up a slice of pizza?

There is no verb? Can't I use "stretch" as a verb here?

Yes I want to describe grabbing a slice of pizza with really stretchy/stringy cheese.

I would use "gooey" rather than "stringy" to describe the cheese. Maybe even "melty."

Yes I want to describe grabbing a slice of pizza with really stretchy/stringy cheese.

And do you want to do it in a dramatic and poetic way? Or do you want to use ordinary English?

And do you want to do it in a dramatic and poetic way? Or do you want to use ordinary English?

Somewhere in between.:-D But I don't think pizza and poetic go!

Right. So you want to describe somebody picking up a slice of pizza with a fair amount of mozzarella cheese, and you want to do it in a semi-poetic and slightly dramatic way?

So you want something halfway between these two:

The pizza wheel sliced through the soft dough like a hot knife through butter. With a trembling hand, I pulled the mozzarella-drenched slice towards my mouth, the cheese stretching and sliding through my fingers and falling onto the plate like the blonde curls of a maiden in a pre-Raphaelite painting.

I grabbed a slice of pizza and the stringy cheese just stayed attached to the rest of the pizza!

So you want something halfway between these two:

The pizza wheel sliced through the soft dough like a hot knife through butter. With a trembling hand, I pulled the mozzarella-drenched slice towards my mouth, the cheese stretching and sliding through my fingers and falling onto the plate like the blonde curls of a maiden in a pre-Raphaelite painting.

:-D

I wonder if Will Shakespeare ever tried pizza!

But seriously, is it okay to use stretch as verb here? To say this?

The pizza cheese stretched when I grabbed a slice.

Jutfrank said there is no verb that can be used in post 7. Maybe I misunderstood.

Yes. You absolutely can say "The cheese stretched ...".

Jutfrank said there is no verb that can be used in post 7. Maybe I misunderstood.

I meant that there's no verb to specifically describe the way the cheese on the slice you're taking sticks to the cheese on the other part of the pizza. That's what I thought you were talking about.

Thanks. So, what is wrong with this and how can it be fixed?

Thanks. So, what is wrong with this and how can it be fixed?

What I want right now is to order a pizza with very stretchy cheese. I missing word grab a slice a then the cheese stretches (wrong tense) slow and smooth. And then I will savor every bite.

I have marked errors in red. See if you can work out how it can be fixed.

I have marked errors in red. See if you can work out how it can be fixed.

Is this better?

What I want right now is to order a pizza with very stretchy cheese. I will grab a slice and the cheese will stretch gently. I will savor every bite.

I underlined "soft" and "smooth" because you used adjectives where you should have used adverbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back