Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which one is correct? And also feel free to correct mistakes in my writing.

1- When a girl does not want to talk to a person, she texted him/her 'hehe'.
2- When a girl does not want to talk to someone, she texted him/her 'hehe'.

Welcome to the forum, thehammer.

I'm afraid your sentences makes little sense. What is the girl's 'hehe'?

Welcome to the forum, thehammer.

I'm afraid your sentences makes little sense. What is the girl's 'hehe'?
Sorry sir, I meant to say 'hehe' is what she wrote to the boy in a virtual conversation.

Which one is correct? And also feel free to correct mistakes in my writing.

When a girl does not want to talk to a person, she texted him/her 'hehe'.

2- When a girl does not want to talk to someone, she texted him/her 'hehe'.
1. You have a mismatch of tenses - does not want (present), texted (past).
2. If she does not want to talk to someone, why does she text anything?
3. Hehe means nothing to me.

@thehammer When we talk about a habitual action, we use the present simple.

"Hehe" is the textspeak version of our "Tee hee" or even "Haha".
I still don't see what it has to do with not wanting to speak to someone.

the hammer means that the girl texts 'hehe' as a way to avoid a conversation.

Which one is correct? And Also, feel free to correct any mistakes in my writing.

1- When a the girl does not didn't want to talk to a person boy, she texted him /her 'Hehe'.
2- When a the girl does not didn't want to talk to someone, she texted him/her them 'Hehe'.
See above. You told us that you were talking about a specific instance, not a general habit, so I have changed both sentences to reflect that.

I agree with 5jj that if she doesn't want to talk to that person, she shouldn't text anything at all. It makes no sense to engage in virtual chat in an attempt to indicate that you don't want to engage in virtual chat.

Sorry. sir, I meant to say 'Hehe' is what she wrote to the boy in a virtual conversation.
See above. Don't refer to users here as "Sir". It's overly formal and it suggests you assume we're all male. We're not.

the hammer means that the girl texts 'hehe' as a way to avoid a conversation.
I gathered that. Is this a common thing these days?

I gathered that. Is this a common thing these days?

It always has been. Think of it as being a non-verbal response. You can respond to what someone says to you without actually saying anything.

Which one is correct?
The girl didn't want to carry on a text conversation with a boy, and she replied to him with just "Hehe".
Specific instance.

When a girl doesn't want to carry on a text conversation with a boy, she replies with just "Hehe".
General observation.

It's a very strange choice of response if you're trying to indicate you don't want to continue the conversation. Adding "hehe" (or "haha" or a laughing emoji) indicates that you found the other person's last comment funny. That's not going to discourage them from continuing. I would go with these (in order of preference):
1. No response.
2. A sarcastic "Whatever".
3. Please leave me alone.

Reactions: 5jj
Culture also has a lot to do with it. In Asia, women will often try to come up with a non-commital response rather than a blunt "Leave me alone".

I get what the OP means.

A "hehe" is a response but at the same time also non-commital and, if the guy is smart, a hint meaning "I'm not interested".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back