Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
This text is from a short story I am currently writing. In this paragraph, a carer describes his client, Sune. He is talking in the present, but describes Sune's life from the past. I am not sure if I have correctly used the the past perfect, the past and mixed them with the present. Would you please correct my mistakes?

We all have our favourites, clients who make our job a pleasure. My is the man in his eighties, whose name is Sune. I became his carer a couple of years ago, and we got along together from the start. He had been working as a carpenter until his retirement, and now lives in a comfortable two-room flat in a leafy suburb. His job had taken him to different countries, where the company he worked for built and renovated all kinds of buildings. Sune drinks large amounts of coffee and he and I sit together in his living room while he narrates tales from Prague, Moscow, Amsterdam and other cities around Europe. At that time, he earned well and would spend a lot of money on women who ended up in his hotel room. He was divorced and the temptation around him was too great to resist, especially when he was in the Eastern Block, where he was treated like a king.

We all have our favourites, clients who make our job a pleasure. [STRIKE]My[/STRIKE] Mine is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a man in his eighties, whose name is Sune. I became his carer a couple of years ago, and we got along [STRIKE]together[/STRIKE] well from the start. He had been working as a carpenter until his retirement, and now lives in a comfortable two-room flat in a leafy suburb. His job had taken him to different countries, where the company he worked for built and renovated all kinds of buildings. Sune drinks large amounts of coffee, and he and I sit together in his living room while he narrates tales from Prague, Moscow, Amsterdam and other cities around Europe. [STRIKE]At that time, he earned well[/STRIKE] When he was working, he was well paid and would spend a lot of money on women who ended up in his hotel room. He was divorced and the temptation around him was too great to resist, especially when he was in the Eastern Block, where he was treated like a king.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back