Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
This is a paragraph from a short story I am currently writing. In this part, the narrator, a girl, is describing her feelings for the sea and the beach in her hometown. I would appreciate if someone could correct the mistakes and help me to make my sentences sound natural. I am especially concerned about this sentence "I would have spent the whole day bathing, if my mother had not come to call me for lunch." When I read this sentence it sounds to me that what she says happened only once, but I wished to say that it happened on many occasions. Unfortunately, I feel I am not able to write my intention correctly.

I learned to swim early, even before I was able to read and write. I grew up with the sea, shells, starfish, salty air, and the hot sand under my feet. The sea and the beach were my playgrounds to which I ran as soon as I ate breakfast. I would have spent the whole day bathing, if my mother had not come to call me for lunch. But I hated tourists when they arrived in their thousands in the summer in our little town and occupied every centimetre of our beach. I could not stand their pale bodies which would burn red within hours, the scents of their sunscreens and the music from their radios. Nor could I stand their spoiled children who were hungry or thirsty every few minutes, asking their parents for money to buy ice creams and sandwiches. Therefore, Mia and I preferred to come to the beach late in the afternoon when we would have it to ourselves,

This is a paragraph from a short story I am currently writing. In this part, the narrator, a girl, is describing her feelings for the sea and the beach in her hometown. I would appreciate if someone could correct the mistakes and help me to make my sentences sound natural. I am especially concerned about this sentence "I would have spent the whole day bathing, if my mother had not come to call me for lunch." When I read this sentence it sounds to me that what she says happened only once, but I wished to say that it happened on many occasions. Unfortunately, I feel I am not able to [STRIKE]write[/STRIKE] express what I intend [STRIKE]my intention[/STRIKE] correctly.

I learned to swim early, even before I was able to read and write. I grew up with the sea, shells, starfish, salty air, and the hot sand under my feet. The sea and the beach were my playgrounds to which I ran as soon as I ate breakfast. I would [STRIKE]have spent[/STRIKE] spend the whole day bathing [STRIKE], if[/STRIKE] until my mother [STRIKE]had not come[/STRIKE] came to call me for lunch. But I hated tourists when they arrived in their thousands in the summer in our little town and occupied every centimetre of our beach. I could not stand their pale bodies which would burn red within hours, the scents of their sunscreens and the music from their radios. Nor could I stand their spoiled children who were hungry or thirsty all the time and, every few minutes, asked [STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] their parents for money to buy ice cream and sandwiches. Therefore, Mia and I preferred to [STRIKE]come[/STRIKE] go to the beach late in the afternoon when we would have it to ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back