Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1.Is there a name for a shop, by the side of the road, in which big trucks like eighteen wheelers are serviced and repaired?

2. I saw a truck and its hood was up. There was a man with a device that was blowing strong wind on the engine. Is there a name for this instrument and how is the act described in English? A lot of dust was whipped up in the air as a result of this action.

1.Is there a name for a shop, by the side of the road, in which big trucks like eighteen wheelers are serviced and repaired?

Call it a garage or a repair shop.

2. I saw a truck and its hood was up. There was a man with a device that was blowing strong wind on the engine. Is there a name for this instrument and how is the act described in English? A lot of dust was whipped up in the air as a result of this action.

Could he have been steam cleaning it? The dust makes it sound like sandblasting, but I don't think anyone would sandblast under the hood. The sand would get into everything.
I'm not much help on this one.

In the UK, a business that repairs cars/trucks/lorries isn't called a shop at all. Also, I'm not sure what the relevance of it being "by the side of the road" is. Most businesses are in a building on a road, unless they're on an industrial estate.

A person who repairs large vehicles is a "lorry mechanic" or an "HGV mechanic" here. (HGV = Heavy Goods Vehicle)

I have no idea what the device was either. It might have been a high-pressure air cleaner.

In the UK, a business that repairs cars/trucks/lorries isn't called a shop at all.

Calling a place where mechanics service and repair vehicles a shop is very common in Anerican English. I'm quite certain I've actually said, more than once, 'Can you give me a lift? My car's in the shop."

Calling a place where mechanics service and repair vehicles a shop is very common in Anerican English. I'm quite certain I've actually said, more than once, 'Can you give me a lift? My car's in the shop."
Yup. In fact, that's the only way I ever say it.

In the UK, a business that repairs cars/trucks/lorries isn't called a shop at all.

Are you sure? I think it is referred to that way, although it's more commonly called a 'garage'.

The equipment described in #2 is called an air compressor, commonly used by a mechanic for cleaning dust.

Are you sure? I think it is referred to that way, although it's more commonly called a 'garage'.

I have never heard a garage called a shop except in AmE. I was already aware of AmE using "My car's in the shop" where BrE would use "My car's at the garage".

I would only use garage there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back