a lot of work/works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say, "I have a lot of work (to do)."

I have a lot of work.
The noun work is an uncountable noun.

I have a lot of work.
The noun work is an uncountable noun.

Works exists as another name for factory, for example "He has a job at the steel works starting on Monday.":)

And some more meanings too. But, not here. :)

Homework (USA)
Homeworks (UK)

What about Australian English? What do they call it, homework or homeworks, and is this acceptable, I have a lot of homeworks?

Homework (USA)
Homeworks (UK)

What about Australian English? What do they call it, homework or homeworks, and is this acceptable, I have a lot of homeworks?
Hm. Nice one. :up:
But I don't know about AusE. I think it's homeworks.

But, it's:
I've got lots of homeworks (to do). :-D

Hm. Nice one. :up:
But I don't know about AusE. I think it's homeworks.

But, it's:
I've got lots of homeworks (to do). :-D
Ta. Would using "have" instead of "got" make UK homeworks sound like an illness? :lol:;-)

Ta. Would using "have" instead of "got" make UK homeworks sound like an illness? :lol:;-)
Hahahahaha... Goodness, I've just spilt my coffee all over me! :lol::lol::lol::morning::silly:

Homework (USA)
Homeworks (UK)

I am beginning to feel extremely confused, either English in the UK has changed a lot in the last 20 years, or I come from an alternative UK in a parallel universe. I have never heard of "homeworks" only "homework". When I was at school (a long time ago) if we had said "I've got lots of homeworks to do." instead of "I have a lot of homework to do." We would have been beaten to death at the very least.:);-)

When I was at school (a long time ago) if we had said "I've got lots of homeworks to do" instead of "I have a lot of homework to do", we would have been beaten to death at the very least.
Interesting. I wonder if 'have homework(s)' is a recent UK English development or if IvanV and you are from different parts of the UK? Dialect maybe?

At any rate, homeworks is ungrammatical in American English. The first time I heard it, I wondered did I hear that right? :lol: I know better now, as many of my Asian students use it and swear it's UK English. I even brought the question to the form a short while ago, and I believe I was told it's OK.

Interesting, as I said. Let's poll it on a new thread.

In construction, you often hear people refer to the 'construction works'.

'Homeworks' is new to me. I don't think it's used in Australasia either.

I think I wasn't clear, as I was partially joking. ''Homeworks'' is incorrect, grammatically speaking. Whether in UK or in Australia, it's irrelevant. But it is in use these days amongst students, i.e. you can hear it here and there, and especially in the form I have mentioned (I've got lots of homeworks). Write it up to slang if you will, but the basics stay put.

I'm sorry for any misconceptions.

Another word which I notice youngsters these days like to add an 's' to - anyways.

Another word which I notice youngsters these days like to add an 's' to - anyways.
Anyways - informal. Anyway - more formal than anyways, yet again informal. Both are better to be omitted in writing.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back