[Grammar] a longer period of time when someone is not working or doing some other activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
break
n.

a longer period of time when someone is not working or doing some other activity

The long weekend provided her with a much-needed break (from her job).

https://learnersdictionary.com/definition/break
-----------

a.
a longer period of time when someone is not working or doing some other activity

b. a longer period of time when someone does not work or do some other activity

What different effects do (a) and (b) have? What do you think about the writer using (a) rather than (b)?

Last edited:
Did you create definition b or did you find it somewhere else?

Did you create definition b or did you find it somewhere else?

I created (b), because for my English level it is more natural than (a) to use. :)

Kadioguy, the "longer" in that definition is only relevant compared to the one that comes before it.
:-|

Kadioguy, the "longer" in that definition is only relevant compared to the one that comes before it.
:-|

Thank you, Tarheel. Why did you say this? :)

You can only say something is longer /shorter if you have something to compare it with. It is relative.

You can only say something is longer /shorter if you have something to compare it with. It is relative.
That's true. But what does that have to do with my question? It was the writer who wrote the "longer", not me. :)

Last edited:
Then the writer/author is not being clear.

Back to your two sentences, I think the first using the present continuous refers to a particular instance whereas the simple present is used for a general statement.They both mean the same.

Sentence a. uses the progressive aspect, the effect of which is to focus on the action (not working) as of limited duration. In other words, it has a sense of being temporary.

It was the writer who wrote the "longer", not me.
A weekend is Saturday and Sunday. When the Friday before and/or the Monday after are taken as extra days off work, that's called a long weekend.

Therefore, a long weekend is a longer period of time than a weekend.

Thank you, Tarheel. Why did you say this? :)

I read the definitions. (There are quite a few.) The "longer" in the quoted definition has to do with the one that comes just before it. It's the only way it's meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back