Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
This article is a revised version of this one. Please review this new version.

A lesson from the “real world”: my experience

Recently, I visited a discussion website called Reddit and joined some discussions. I was surprised to find that some people there can easily use sh*t or f*ck in their comments to respond to your opinion. For example, a member there replied to me by saying "... stop giving so many f*cks about things that don't matter." Also, if a member doesn't agree with you, you will easily get a "dislike" -- I admit I got a quite a few.

On the other hand, I have had some arguments with some members here, UsingEnglish.com, but I didn't get the s-word or the f-word, and fortunately, there is no dislike button on this forum. So I would say that discussions here are more supportive and respectful. In my opinion, UsingEnglish.com is more like an academy while Reddit is like the "real world". I think I've learned a lesson from this experience, and I'll be more courageous and confident when getting into the "real world" next time!

Last edited:
I'm not on Reddit. Do you recommend it?

Of course I can try it. Do you suggest that I do?

Of course I can try it. Do you suggest that I do?
I suggest you try it, yes. You'll probably like it, I don't know. ;)
By the way, what do you think of my writing in post #1?

It's OK.

...reply to me by saying...

I would omit the "by" there.

I'd say "I learned from the experience" (without "lesson"). The rest is fine.

Only if you're comfortable with the foul language kadioguy encountered.
Well, I would say that it might be partly because my English communication skills aren't good enough.

Tarheel is a native speaker, so I think he might be able to have a good conversation with them. That's why I suggested he take a look at that website.

@kadioguy I think your English is pretty good. I don't know if I'm going to try Reddit. I'm already on Facebook and Messenger, and Twitter. And I'm not on Rumble or Telegraph yet.

I play the games they have on Facebook/Messenger, especially Chess Free and Quiz Planet.

I used to use Reddit. I quit after about six months. The swearing didn't bother me but the childish arguments, the memes/GIFs, and the prevalence of ridiculous conspiracy theories drove me away in the end. Needless to say, the grammar was enough to make your eyes bleed!

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back