Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I have two questions about these sentences. What other prepositions can I use instead of "at" in my sentence? Can I also use "in" "during" and "on"? and if I mention the lecturer and my exam for the first time, however it's the lecturer who was asking me questions and it's one of the exams I had, should I use the definite or the indefinite article?

1. "I answered the lecturer's question at the exam".

2. "The lecturer asked me questions at/in/during/on the exam." Would it be possible to use "a" before "lecturer"?

Were the questions part of the exam?
Was the lecturer conducting the exam?

Then the person's role is that of examiner rather than lecturer. Simply say I answered the examiner's questions.

Actually, I don't see any need to say anything at all. It would be rather odd if you went into an exam and did not answer the questions.

Then the person's role is that of examiner rather than lecturer. Simply say I answered the examiner's questions.

Actually, I don't see any need to say anything at all. It would be rather odd if you went into an exam and did not answer the questions.

Is the use of each listed preposition correct?

1. "I answered the lecturer's question at/on/ during/ in the exam".

2. "The lecturer asked me questions at/in/during/on the exam."

Are you simply going to ignore 5jj's excellent advice to use "examiner" instead of "lecturer"?

Are you simply going to ignore 5jj's excellent advice to use "examiner" instead of "lecturer"?

Why would I ignore anyone's advice on this forum? I copied and pasted the examples, but unfortunately, forgot to edit my them.

Is the use of each listed preposition correct?

Yes.

1. "I answered the lecturer's question at/on/ during/ in the exam".

- AT: Use this to say where you answered the question.

- ON: Use this if you answered a question concerning the exam.

- DURING: Use this to say when you answered the question.

2. "The lecturer asked me questions at/in/during/on the exam."

Yes, again. See above.
I don't know the context, of course, but "teacher" or "professor" or "proctor" might be a better fit (although proctors don't ask many questions).

In the US, "examiner" is unlikely.

Your choice!

NOTE: AE proctor = BE invigilator

I don't know the context, of course, but "teacher" or "professor" or "proctor" might be a better fit (although proctors don't ask many questions).

Your choice!

Thank you so much for such a clear and detailed answer! I noticed that you didn't use "in" in your examples in blue.

Would it be correct to say that "in the exam" can mean 1. "during the exam", 2. "on the exam" =in the exam paper, 3. "at the exam"=location?
For example,

1. "I answered the examiner's questions in the exam." During.

2. "I answered the examiner's questions on/in the exam." In the exam paper.

3. "I answered the examiner's questions in the exam." Location.

Last edited:
Those all seem correct and natural to me. We'll see what others think.

1. "I answered the examiner's questions in the exam." During.

2. "I answered the examiner's questions on/in the exam." In the exam paper.

3. "I answered the examiner's questions in the exam." Location.
My problem with all the versions is that I cannot think of a context in which I'd say any of them.

My problem with all the versions is that I cannot think of a context in which I'd say any of them.

I couldn't agree more!

In general, an exam is taken to be a written test in which a roomful of people answer questions on paper in silence! No one should be asking you questions. In the context of a written test, the "examiner" is the person (or group) that created the exam paper. Of course you have to answer the examiner's questions. If you didn't, you'd just be sitting in a room twiddling your thumbs for three hours!

An oral exam would, of course, involve answering the examiner's questions and would be done on a one-to-one basis. In that context, the examiner is the person in the room with you and is asking you questions.

I couldn't agree more!

In general, an exam is taken to be a written test in which a roomful of people answer questions on paper in silence! No one should be asking you questions. In the context of a written test, the "examiner" is the person (or group) that created the exam paper. Of course you have to answer the examiner's questions. If you didn't, you'd just be sitting in a room twiddling your thumbs for three hours!

An oral exam would, of course, involve answering the examiner's questions and would be done on a one-to-one basis. In that context, the examiner is the person in the room with you and is asking you questions.

I don't understand how "in" can refer to the location where it's held. :-?

If I say "I sneezed really loudly while I was in the exam", it can be taken to mean "while I was in the room where I was taking the exam".

Your choice!

Would it be correct to use either depending on context with "lesson", "class" and "lecture"? For example, 1. "The examiner asked me a question in/at the class/lecture/lesson" meaning "during the class/lesson/lecture. 2. "The examiner asked me a question in the class/lesson/lecture." Meaning the location. Can I use "at" in #2?

There is an example in a Russian textbook: "Don't stand up at the lesson." I don't remember which example it was, but I remember one of the moderators telling me that some sentences in that book are not natural.
IMG_20210531_130344.jpg

Last edited:
How many proctor or invigilatorwere there in the room?

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
There is an example in a Russian textbook: "Don't stand up at the lesson." I don't remember which example it was, but I remember one of the moderators telling me that some sentences in that book are not natural.

That's an example of an error in that textbook.

Don't stand up during the lesson.
Don't stand up in the lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back