A large variety of seeds is/are available to the farmers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Which verb should I use?

Thanks.

Which verb should I use?

Thanks.

I would use the singular "is" because the subject (variety) is singular.

But others could read it as "There are many types of seeds here."

(And, yes, I know you have an inexplicable desire to write that as "many type of seeds" which makes no sense to me and doesn't match anything I've read or heard anywhere outside your post in this forum, so rather than debate that point, let's just agree to say "some people see it as a quantifier for many seed types, so there are many varieties of seeds.)

But others could read it as "There are many types of seeds here."

(And, yes, I know you have an inexplicable desire to write that as "many type of seeds" which makes no sense to me and doesn't match anything I've read or heard anywhere outside your post in this forum, so rather than debate that point, let's just agree to say "some people see it as a quantifier for many seed types, so there are many varieties of seeds.)

Different issue. This is a subject verb agreement issue. The sentence is what it is. And I have never proposed many type of seeds. That's completely wrong.

But you have said that "many type (singular)" which makes no sense to me.

The point is that "A large variety of" can be seen as a quantifier of "seeds" rather than "of seeds" modifying the singular noun "variety."

But you have said that "many type (singular)" which makes no sense to me.

The point is that "A large variety of" can be seen as a quantifier of "seeds" rather than "of seeds" modifying the singular noun "variety."

You are misquoting me. I have said that I prefer "Many kinds, types, etc. [plural] of [singular] where the singular is a generic concept.

I understand your point about how some people might read the sentence. I hope you understand my point about about a singular subject being singular. If you wish to argue that "seeds" is the grammatical subject of the sentence, that is fine. But I disagree.

I do argue that many people will see "seeds" as the grammatical subject.

I understand you do not agree.

I apologize for misquoting you. Many types of "singular" makes no more sense to me than when you first introduced it but we won't go there today. Or ever.

I do argue that many people will see "seeds" as the grammatical subject.

I understand you do not agree.

I apologize for misquoting you. Many types of "singular" makes no more sense to me than when you first introduced it but we won't go there today. Or ever.

We can agree to disagree about both issues. Even when we disagree, I respect your opinions. :)

I would accept either one.

I would typically use and expect to hear "are" in that context. But without "seeds" I would use "is".

AmE usually sticks to logic in these things, whereas BrE is usually focussed on the concrete. Both are good approaches, and there is no widely accepted answer to this question, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back