Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
When answering the question "What is an interesting insect" should I use an indefinite or the definite article?
"An interesting insect is the Devil's Flower Mantis. These unusual insects will wait perfectly still until the prey arrives, which they will immediately grab."

The question is from "Reading Challenge" by Casey Malarcher.

When answering the question "What is an interesting insect?", should I use [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] the indefinite or [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] definite article?

"An interesting insect is the Devil's Flower Mantis. [STRIKE]These[/STRIKE] This unusual [STRIKE]insects[/STRIKE] insect will wait perfectly still until [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] its prey [STRIKE]arrives[/STRIKE] appears, [STRIKE]which they will[/STRIKE] then immediately grab it."

The question is from "Reading Challenge" by Casey Malarcher.

Let me say first that that's a terrible question. The answer to "What is an interesting insect?" is "An interesting insect is an insect that is interesting". The question should be worded something like "What insect do you find interesting?" or "Give an example of an interesting insect".

Opening your reply with "An interesting insect" is correct but stick with the singular from then on. Note my other changes. I would use the present perfect instead of the future voice for the habitual action but yours isn't wrong before "wait" so I left it.

I would use the present perfect instead of the future voice for the habitual action .
I'd say that it is neither future or a voice. It's modal will used to express habitual action.

Last edited:
"An" among many possible.

I'd say that it is neither future or a voice. It's modal will used to express habitual action.

Sorry, but I don't understand this part. I don't understand how to use the present perfect there. Why is it "grab" not "grabs".

Sorry, but I don't understand this part. I don't understand how to use the present perfect there. Why is it "grab" not "grabs".
When in doubt, simplify: They will grab.

"They will grabs" is ungrammatical, right?

This unusual insect will wait perfectly still until its prey appears, then immediately grab it.
Is it clear if you simplify it? This insect will wait for its prey, then grab it.

Is it clear if you simplify it? This insect will wait for its prey, then grab it.

I understand now. But regarding the use of the present perfect, can it be used in this way? "This unusual insect has waited perfectly still until its prey appears, then immediately grabs it."(Or perhaps "will grab it" if it's correct.)

I understand now. But regarding the use of the present perfect, can it be used in this way? "This unusual insect has waited perfectly still until its prey appears, then immediately grabs it".

No. The use of the present perfect suggests that you are talking about just one specific incident.

I understand now. But regarding the use of the present perfect, can it be used in this way? "This unusual insect waits perfectly still until its prey appears, then immediately grabs it".
And if you're describing a particular incident, you would use "waited" and "grabbed."

Last edited by a moderator:
No. The use of the present perfect suggests that you are talking about just one specific incident.

Then "immediately grabs" or "will grab" as written below is wrong.

"This unusual insect has waited perfectly still until its prey appears, then immediately grabs it."(Or perhaps "will grab it" if it's correct.) Shouldn't I change my sentence if I am going to use the present perfect?

And if you're describing a particular incident, you would use "waited" and "grabbed."

Yes, I was going to use it. "This unusual insect has waited perfectly still until its prey appeared, then immediately grabbed it."

Yes, I was going to use it. "This unusual insect has waited perfectly still until its prey appeared, then immediately grabbed it."
No. Delete "has." It's wrong. See my corrections in post 10.

Then how do I use the present perfect as emsr2d2 suggested? I don't understand.
I don't know why Ems suggested that, and I don't know how Ems would do it.

Note that I punctuated both sentences for you — one question and one statement.

I don't know why Ems suggested that, and I don't know how Ems would do it.

Note that I punctuated both sentences for you — one question and one statement.

Would it be wrong to use "arrive" in other contexts when talking about "animals" and "insects"?

I'm so sorry!! I've just reread my original response and realised that I meant to write "present simple", not "present perfect" for a habitual action.

The insect waits until its prey appears, then grabs it.

I'm so sorry!! I've just reread my original response and realised that I meant to write "present simple", not "present perfect" for a habitual action.

My head almost exploded yesterday while I was thinking about the use of the present perfect:).

I can only apologise for the near-combustion of your brain (and that of other users).

Why is it wrong to use "arrive" about animals and insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back