a grammar teacher+ used to

Status
Not open for further replies.

daisy1352

Member Type
Student or Learner
We use only used to and not would wtih states. What does the writer mean by state here? Does he mean stative verbs? If not will you please help me?
Thanks

We use only used to and not would wtih states. What does the writer mean by state here? Does he mean stative verbs? If not will you please help me?
Thanks
That seems to be what it means. Stative verbs usually describes states, hence the name.
He seems to be saying that we say, "I used to be happy when I lived there" not, "I would be happy when I lived there". (Being happy is a state, 'be' is a stative verb, so you can see that they mean slightly different things.)

However, I disagree that we never use "would" with stative verbs/states.
"Every time she she did that, I would become angry."
"Whenever she did what I wanted, I would be happy."

What examples does your author give?

Become to me is a change of state and so more of an action, and be in that example implies a similar change, but I agree that, like so many rules, it is not perfect. ;-)

Become to me is a change of state and so more of an action, and be in that example implies a similar change, but I agree that, like so many rules, it is not perfect. ;-)
Well, that's why it's necessary to know what the author means by states, hence my request for his examples. It's certainly not a perfect rule if we can't work out what it's meant to apply to.

Well, that's why it's necessary to know what the author means by states, hence my request for his examples. It's certainly not a perfect rule if we can't work out what it's meant to apply to.
The writer just gives us an example of the verb have.
He says However, only used to can show past location, state, or possession.

The writer just gives us an example of the verb have.
He says However, only used to can show past location, state, or possession.
Yes, you would certainly not say "I would have a dog" instead of "I used to have a dog".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back