Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear everybody
I would like to as about a Gerund and a Noun

Here is the phrase about history:
(1)Always in danger of competition from neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

I am wondering if it is correct to use Ving (competing) instead a noun (competition).
(2)Always in danger of competing from neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

I think that 1st sentence emphasizes on a whole completed action in the past.
2nd sentence emphasizes on the action which was in process in the past. Is this correct?

I am wondering if it is correct to use Ving (competing) instead a noun (competition).
(2)Always in danger of competing from neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.
It is not.

(2) Always in danger of competing from neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

The implied subject of competing is the Portuguese. Competing from neighbouring Spain makes no sense.

Last edited:
(2Always in danger of competing from neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

The implied subject of competing is the Portuguese. Competing from neighbouring Spain makes no sense.

If I use " competed with". Is this sentence correct? :

Always in danger of competing with neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

The sentence is correct grammatically. It does not mean the same as the original.

The sentence is correct grammatically. It does not mean the same as the original.

Thanks for your answer, yes, I know that the meaning has changed.

I have another couple of questions , please help me indicate which sentence is correct? I think both is fine.

1.Competition among athletes at the Olympic Games is fierce.
2.Competing among athletes at the Olympic Games is fierce.

Last edited by a moderator:
[STRIKE]Dear everybody[/STRIKE] Hello.
I would like to ask about [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] gerunds and [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] nouns.

Here is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a [STRIKE]phrase[/STRIKE] sentence about history:
(1)Always in danger of competition from neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

(2)Always in danger of competing [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] with neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

I think that [STRIKE]1st[/STRIKE] the first sentence [STRIKE]emphasizes[/STRIKE] puts the emphasis on a whole completed action in the past.
[STRIKE]2nd[/STRIKE] The second sentence emphasizes [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] the action which was in process in the past. Is this correct?

Could you please give me an explanation, 5jj?

If I use "competed with", is this sentence correct?

Always in danger of competing with neighbouring Spain, the Portuguese began subcontracting their spice distribution to Dutch traders.

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I know that the meaning has changed.

I have another couple of questions. Please help me [STRIKE]indicate[/STRIKE] understand which sentence is correct. I think both [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are fine.

1. Competition among athletes at the Olympic Games is fierce. :tick:
2. Competing among athletes at the Olympic Games is fierce. :cross:

Please note my corrections to all your posts above, particularly with regard to punctuation and spacing.

Last edited:
Hi emsr2d2,
Thanks for your correction.

If I rewrite like as below, is it correct?
His competing with other rivals to get a gold medal makes him tired.

Hi emsr2d2,
Thanks for your corrections.

Is the following sentence correct?

His competing with other rivals to get a gold medal makes him tired.

No. Try:

The competition is exhausting.

Hi, Tarheel.

Is this correct?

[STRIKE]" The[/STRIKE] "Competing with other people is exhausting."

Note my corrections above to your punctuation and spacing. "The competing" is wrong.

It is inherent to competition that there are other people involved. Competition is the effort to equal or surpass the efforts of others in the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back