Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there. Would you please proofread the following text? Any help would be appreciated.

When Jingying arrived home, she found Yang and Lanhua playing some game with Lanhua’s toys. Lanhua said, “Hi, Mommy. How is aunty, is she having twins?”

Jingying saw Yang shaking his head, but said nothing. She was not new to Lanhua’s occasional dreams of the future. “Twins? Well, that we don’t know yet, but she’s doing very well. Uncle Jiang says she’s very healthy. How about you two help me get lunch ready? Your father should be home from hunting soon.”

Lili came back with a tray of refreshments, tea and sweetbreads, and noticed her husband and Longkai had left. “I see your fathers have abandoned you. Well, don’t worry son. We won’t bore you to death. This baby is as much about you as the rest of us, and you both have a lot to learn, so buckle up.”

Laohu nodded and smiled. “It’s OK. I’m OK, mom. I’m glad they left. They made me feel more nervous than I was.”

Meili patted Laohu’s shoulder. "I knew you were a good boy from the first time I met you." Laohu smiled but blushed a little too at the compliment.

After lunch, Jingying took Lanhua for a walk around Moogh’s paddock. “Those dreams you have, honey, I want you to keep them secret, only for this family. Some people get scared of those that dream as you do. Do you understand?”

“Only a little, but I’ll do as you ask, mom.”

Jingying gave Lanhua’s hand a gentle squeeze as they continued their walk. “You are a good daughter.”

Lanhua looked at her mother. “Aunt Lili will have a baby soon too.”

Jingying stopped walking, smiled, and said, “That’s wonderful, honey, but keep this one between you and me. OK?"

This doesn't tick the box for me:

How about you two help me get lunch ready?

Why don't you two help/how about you two helping

Interesting. Tdol and I are both BrE speakers but I have no problem with "How about you two help me get lunch ready?" I see it as a shorter version of:

"How about this idea? Why don't you two help me get lunch ready?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back