Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
1) In the UK, vagrants asking for change are ubiquitous. I'm interested in the oft-heard sentences they say: some say "spare some change, please"; some say "spare any change, please". In formal grammar, any is only used in question/negative statements but we all know that's all 'too dead in books' and not applicable in real life; therefore, some is possible here. However, are both of them really correct? Are there any differences in meaning?

2) vocabulary: I've asked 2 native English speakers and they were not sure about this
a) You know how we have the oyster card / key fob which has to get 'in contact' with some device in order to, say, enter the gate/premise... what's the exact verb to describe the action. I mean, this action is very common all around the world. It's not exactly 'swiping' like credit card. Swiping refers to 'sliding' the card in that narrow slot in the reader, right? So, what's the word for that gentle touch/hit if not swiping?

b) We can hang up the phone, cut someone off, not answering the phone... but how do we say before we even pick it up, we cut the line off? is there some sort of phrasal verb/verbs referring to that specific action?

3) Last, I don't quite understand what this sentence means.
"WE have your best intention in mind"
Does it mean, we know full well what your want, implying that we'll do our best for your interest?

Very Many Thanks!

1) In the UK, vagrants asking for change are ubiquitous. I'm interested in the oft-heard sentences they say: some say "spare some change, please"; some say "spare any change, please". In formal grammar, any is only used in question/negative statements but we all know that's all 'too dead in books' and not applicable in real life; therefore, some is possible here. However, are both of them really correct? Are there any differences in meaning?
Both are correct. But your logic is bad. The notion that " 'any' is only used in question/negative statements" does not mean that 'some', or any other word, can't be used in question/negative statements. It means that 'any' can't be used in positive phrases.
What does "too dead in books" mean?

2) I don't know

3) Last, I don't quite understand what this sentence means.
"WE have your best intention in mind"
Does it mean, we know full well what your want, implying that we'll do our best for your interest?
It's probably wrong. I think it should be, "We have your best interests in mind". "Best intention" isn't a common phrase. More context is needed to explain the sentence if there is no error in it.
Very Many Thanks!
R.

Thanks for pointing out my logic is 'bad'. Perhaps I haven't made myself clear enough. If you are an ESL [English as a second language] learner, you would certainly understand our plight. Textbooks say one thing and reality says another, but you can't abandon textbooks altogether, can you? There's actually implicature in (1). Textbooks treat any and some as the same thing and if any is used, some shouldn't be used. It's like many and much.

anyway thanks

what do the others think? esp. 1 and 2? thanks

1 Yes, both are possible. Any may sound a bit more tentative.
2 You can tap your Oyster card.

"Spare any change, please" is really a question - "Can you spare any change [please]?" so it still fits the normal routine of using "any" in questions.

2) vocabulary: I've asked 2 native English speakers and they were not sure about this
a) You know how we have the oyster card / key fob which has to get 'in contact' with some device in order to, say, enter the gate/premise... what's the exact verb to describe the action. I mean, this action is very common all around the world. It's not exactly 'swiping' like credit card. Swiping refers to 'sliding' the card in that narrow slot in the reader, right? So, what's the word for that gentle touch/hit if not swiping?

b) We can hang up the phone, cut someone off, not answering the phone... but how do we say before we even pick it up, we cut the line off? is there some sort of phrasal verb/verbs referring to that specific action?

[AmE - not a teacher]

I find it somewhat interesting how new technology often outpaces the vocabulary for it.

2a) I've heard "wave your badge". I think "swipe" still works, and of course, "tap" sounds good, though I've not heard that yet. I think "touch" may also be used.

See also Near field communication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2b) I've used "hang up on them without even answering", or "let it go to voicemail". None of my phones have a button that will do this function, though I wish they did.

Tedwonny - please don't group questions that are completely unrelated into a single post. The thread will quicly become a mess. Post your individual questions in individual threads, with titles that refer to their content.

My cell phone lets me "decline" an incoming call. My house phone does not. All I can do is "mute" the ringer but the person has to either hang up or wait for voicemail; I can't prevent the phone from continuing to ring (silently).

I've never heard of an Oyster card. Is that my "badge" that I wave somewhere near the sensor to unlock the door to my buildlind? If so, be aware that it's not a universal term. We just say "badge in."

I've never heard of an Oyster card. Is that my "badge" that I wave somewhere near the sensor to unlock the door to my buildlind? If so, be aware that it's not a universal term. We just say "badge in."

An Oyster card is a smart card and e-purse for the transport system in London :)

The "official" terminology that tends to be used in documentation about it says you "present the card to the reader" but of course in general conversation other verbs do get used. I've heard "swipe", "tap", "wave" and "flash", all mentioned above I think. I have also heard "oyster through" used as a verb meaning "get through the gate using my oyster card", which made me cringe somewhat.

The "official" terminology that tends to be used in documentation about it says you "present the card to the reader"

Madam Reader, may I present the Oyster card?
Mr. Oyster, I'm pleased to introduct you to Madam Reader.

Just to confirm:

- Swiping can also mean tapping/touching [some sort of cards like oyster card in London?]. I thought swiping strictly means 'slotting a card [e.g. credit card] through the reader. Now it's also ok to say 'swipe' to refer to the action of gently tapping/touching some reader?

AND

Oh, haha, I'm not saying there's this super-duper button to press on when I can't be bothered answering some calls. I was referring to the 'red - hang-up button'. I press it before answering. That means, the person who's trying to call me hears the connection 'doodoo, doodoo...(connecting;waiting to be picked up)' but a sudden 'do do do do (disconnected)'
So, I was asking how do you call this action of 'disconnecting before picking up' [In HK, everyone says I 'cut somebody's line', which seems to make a lot of sense but I doubt if native ENglish speakers ever say this]

Sorry for the confusion but so far, it seems there's not a verb/phrasal verb for this? Oh, the native speakers are too polite to 'disconnect' before answering? =]

I don't really see how you can disconnect before you've answered. It's the act of answering which connects the call. If you haven't answered, then you're not connected and therefore by definition, you can't disconnect.

I can turn off the ringer on my mobile and ignore it and then my voicemail cuts in.
Like BarbD, my old mobile had a "Decline" key but my current one doesn't.

Gosh, I know this has to do with my inability to express clearly. The point is not about 'disconnecting' and stuff...
That's right! What I want to know is instead of 'ignoring' the call [and you don't have a decline button, I guess nowadays the decline button is the same button as the one you use to hang up], you press that hang up/decline button, what do you call this action?

I think I come to the conclusion that there isn't really verbs/phrases referring to this action aside from saying a bit too formally 'declining the call'.

thanks guys

AFAIK, there is no button that will stop the phone from ringing, and not have it go to voice mail. I just tested my home phone and other than muting the ringer, the button will not stop the incoming call. The only way I can do it with this phone is to answer and hang up. Likewise, there is no specific verb for this action (that I know of). I would say "I hung up on them without even answering.", or possibly, I just disconnected the call without answering. I think "without answering" is the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back