Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

My teacher didn't mark my review, so I posted it here to see if there is anything goes wrong. Please feel free to leave any comments. Thank you! :):)

Mibo

A review of "Solar Mamas"

"Solar Mamas" brings me a brief insight of peoples' life on the another side of this world. The story mainly focuses on Rafea and her family, who was picked to study about solar technology in Barefoot College in order to bring sustainable electricity to her poor village. After watching the documentary, I think there was a couple of reasons choosing women to the college instead of men. As we take a look of their lifestyle in the college, we can see women were patient and could learn things slowly, which hopefully could rescue their villages, and also built up an incredible friendship and solidarity between each another even though they were all from places all over the world. And these were the things men could not achieve. Besides, the time cultivated them a sense of Feminism which taught them to think independently. We witness the change of Rafea, from being afraid of her husband to finally making up her mind to disobey her husbands' commands. I can tell she really enjoyed the period in Barefoot College.

More than two-thirds of the illiterate adults are women in the world and they devote more time than normal people to earn 10% of the world's income but only own 1% of the world's property. As an illiterate woman, Rafea could only understand a limited amount of words. Howbeit, due to the hope of optimizing her village, she turn out overcame the language blockage and passed the examination. I am really glad to see how Rafea could finally be free and could choose the path she wanted. In my opinion, it is almost impossible to quit the vicious cycle of poverty. However, no matter what troubles Rafea would encounter in future, I believe that she would be able to handle them with her strong faith.

If you are interested about the story, you can watch it on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON_NQ1HnRYs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One quick question first - why didn't your teacher mark this?

One quick question first - why didn't your teacher mark this?

It is because she only asked us to exchange our reviews with other classmates...

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

I have made a few suggestions:

I think there WERE a couple of [ = several] reasons FOR choosing only women for the college.

... making up her mind to disobey HIS commands.

... of the illiterate adults IN THE WORLD are women.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back