Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Does "moments of succession" work as a collocation? If not what can I use?

Is this okay?

A democracy is at its most vulnerable during moments of succession, when there is a change of power.

"The peaceful transfer of power" is the usual phrase.
I'd heard that. But I'd like to know if"moments of succession" also works in that sentence.

It's easily understood. So I say yes.

I think it's okay but if I were you I'd say times of succession, because you're talking historically. The word time goes much better when you mean to refer to a particular historical period. The word moment really serves to suggest brevity.

I think it's okay but if I were you I'd say times of succession, because you're talking historically. The word time goes much better when you mean to refer to a particular historical period. The word moment really serves to suggest brevity.
I think "moments" is fine. it implies the brief, transitional period in a nation's history where change of power takes place. "Times" connotes a longer period.

I think "moments" is fine. it implies the brief, transitional period in a nation's history where change of power takes place. "Times" connotes a longer period.
which is why 'times' is generally the better word. The transitional period is rarely very brief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back