Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I have seen a style guide that says we should use a colon before a list.

For example,

The roles of the manager include the following:
1. Implement risk management and loss control policies.
2. Maintain and actively promote a safe and healthful working environment.
3. Take prompt, appropriate action to correct unsafe conditions.

Is a colon like the above one always necessary in English, or does it depends on the style guide?
I mean, is it grammatically okay if I use a period instead of a colon when I don't have to follow a style guide?

I always use a colon. That makes it obvious that you're introducing a list. For example your list might be set out linearly, as below.
"The roles of the manager include the following: Implement risk management and loss control policies, maintain and actively promote a safe and healthful working environment ..."
In this case a period is wrong.

Some styles may allow you to omit the end punctuation before a bulleted or numbered list. You need it in running text, as shown above. Using a period in either format would be wrong.

"The roles of the manager include the following: Implement risk management and loss control policies, maintain and actively promote a safe and healthful working environment ..."

I'd use a colon too, but I wouldn't use an upper case letter after it.

I'd use a colon too, but I wouldn't use an upper case letter after it.
Nor would I usually. I copied that and forgot to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back