Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does the phrase "a child is not beholden to any particular parent" mean "a child should not be held responsible to their parents"?

Beholden is defined as "feeling you have a duty to someone who has done something for you." So I guess the phrase means "a child need not be grateful to their parents." I am not sure. I am not familiar with the word beholden.

======================
Bruno Bettelheim: A child is not beholden to any particular parent

psyboo271chinot_002.gif

Background: Bruno's observation of kibbutz shows that children living in a kibbutz become more successful in society when grown up than children reared by parents. So he concluded "A child is not beholden to any particular parent."

Source: The Psychology Book (the background above is written by me in an attempt to offer a summary)

"a child is not beholden to any particular parent"

I think it means that a child does not owe either parent a duty to repay them for bringing him/her up. The parent's responsiblity to bring up a child is not reciprocal.

I think it means that a child does not owe either parent a duty to repay them for bringing him/her up.
That's correct.

The parent's responsibility to bring up a child is not reciprocal.
The underlined part is unnatural, because children do not bring up parents. Try something like: " ... should be unconditional" instead.

Also, I think it means that anyone can be a parent to a child- DNA doesn't matter.

See the section on children under the Wikipedia article , which elaborates on this philosophy.

Essentially, it's a communal system of rearing children which eschews the traditional relationship between parents and biological offspring. Parents are not solely responsible for raising their kids - it's a community effort. Therefore the children are beholden to the entire community, not just their parents. The thought is that it instills a mindset of community service versus individualism.

It's a quite literal interpretation of the adage that "it takes a village to raise a child".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back