Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.
This sentence is about a stray dog who travels by bus. I found the post on Facebook and I was wondering if it's grammatically correct. The second version is mine.
"He sat on a bus #11 which moves on the way of airport."
"He got on the bus #11 which goes to the airport."

The original is very unnatural. Your version is better, if you insert a comma after '#ll'.

I'd say 'He got on the number 11 bus, which goes to the airport'.

In my version is # pronounced as "number"?

Yes. Unless there is some reason to do otherwise, # is always read aloud as "number".

Hello.
This sentence is about a stray dog who travels by bus. I found the post on Facebook and I was wondering if it's grammatically correct. The second version is mine.
"He sat on a bus #11 which moves on the way of airport."
"He got on the bus #11 which goes to the airport."

Your version, but "the" preceding "bus" isn't usual or necessary in AmE.

Unless there is some reason to do otherwise, # is always read aloud as "number".
I think nowadays it's read as "hashtag" far more often than anything else — but not when it precedes a number. It's also sometimes called the "pound sign" in American English. This refers to the unit of weight, not British currency.

I think nowadays it's read as "hashtag" far more often than anything else — but not when it precedes a number. It's also sometimes called the "pound sign" in American English. This refers to the unit of weight, not British currency.

For me it breaks the flow as I read a passage, probably because using a hashtag to mean "number" has never been a general practice in the UK.

For me it breaks the flow as I read a passage, probably because using a hashtag to mean "number" has never been a general practice in the UK.
"Hashtag" doesn't mean "number". It's the name for the pound sign/number sign that Twitter introduced. It's been widely adopted. "#1" can only be read as number one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back