[General] A "bitter" manner? What does this mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, everyone.

I came across three words in my dictionary today, which were acerbic, acidulous and acrid. Accord to my oxford dictionary, they can all be used to refer to a kind of manner that's considered "bitter".

I can't imagine what a "bitter" manner would be like. Does it simply mean rude?

Besides, are these three words commonly used?

Many thanks

Richard

It means someone is never happy about anything and constantly attacks people verbally. It also can mean sarcastic.

It means someone is never happy about anything and constantly attacks people verbally. It also can mean sarcastic.
My ears are burning.;-)

And I'll address your last question.

'Acerbic' is not uncommon, if a bit formal. Acerbic people are more commonly called 'sharp-tongued'.
'Acidulous' is even more formal, and I would think quite rarely used, I believe there's a Longman's dictionary that will give you the actual numbers. I'm surprised that your dictionary suggests 'acrid' as a synonym; it more commonly collocates with 'smell/smoke/fumes...'.

Here are the first few BNC hits for 'acrid' followed by a noun:
1 ACRID SMOKE 19
2 ACRID SMELL 14
3 ACRID , 9
4 ACRID FUMES 7
5 ACRID STENCH 5
6 ACRID FLAVOUR 2
7 ACRID SCENT 2
8 ACRID ODOUR 2
9 ACRID . 2
10 ACRID AIR 2
11 ACRID TASTE 2
12 ACRID TANG 2
13 ACRID STINK 2
14 ACRID WANT 1
See more here: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC)

There are plenty more, but I think you get the picture. All the others have only one hit, suggesting that they may be new figurative uses. In fact I suspect that in the case of the last on that list 'acrid want' is an intentionally odd-sounding collocation, emphasizing that the writer is talking about the sort of poverty that tends to imply living in smelly surroundings: the surrounding text is '...to make him go away; and she smelt him, and the acrid want in him' - in which the idea of smell is very clear.

There's a rather old-fashioned idiom meaning 'adopt an acerbic tone': 'come the acid' - very informal, and rather archaic - sometimes used in a self-consciously prim tone of voice that implies a set of considerations of social class that belong to former times: 'Don't come the acid with me my man...'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back