Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

In the city where I live, there are some streets with many stores which sell the same product. For example, there is one street in which all stores sell electronic devices. There is another street where all stores sell home appliance. In my language we say "common appliance area". It doesn't make sense in English because it's a literal translation.

Is there a word for that in English? An area/neighborhood where you can find many stores which sell the same product.

I can't think of any of that type in my region, and I think it would be unusual. What would be the advantage to both the buyer and the seller offering the same product?

I can't think of any of that type in my region, and I think it would be unusual. What would be the advantage to both the buyer and the seller offering the same product?

I live in a mega city. So, it's possible that such business areas can be found in very big cities. I don't know about the sellers, but it's convenient for the buy. You can go to many different stores which are next to one another and see different brands and prices.

I don't know of such a phrase but that might be because I've never heard of such an area. The closest thing I've ever seen is Skrydlof in Chania, Crete, which is a whole street selling nothing but leather goods.

Hello.

In the city where I live, there are some streets with many stores which sell the same product. For example, there is one street in which all stores sell electronic devices. There is another street where all stores sell home appliances. In my language we say "common appliance area". It doesn't make sense in English because it's a literal translation.

Is there a word for that in English? An area/neighborhood where you can find many stores which sell the same product?
There's not one word. It depends on the place. Sometimes we use:

- district: the Garment District, the theater district
- row: Music Row
- market: the fish market

Local custom dictates the word.

There's not one word. It depends on the place. Sometimes we use:

- district: the Garment District, the theater district
- row: Music Row
- market: the fish market

Local custom dictates the word.

Okay. Does it make sense to say this?

I'm going to the home appliances district to buy me a washing machine.

I'm going to the home appliances district to buy [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] myself a washing machine.
Please note correction.

I'm going to the home appliances district to buy me a washing machine.

I would just say I was going to buy a washing machine. ( I might use "home appliances district" if there was such a thing in my area.)

Please note correction.

Correction noted,but original statement ("I'm going to the home appliances district to buy me a washing machine.") would not be unusual in casual conversation.

Correction noted,but original statement ("I'm going to the home appliances district to buy me a washing machine.") would not be unusual in casual conversation.
It's common but not standard, so I wouldn't encourage a student to use it.

When I lived in New York, there were a lot of neighborhoods where types of businesses congregated. They were often referred to by the street name, not the product. For instance:

- I'm going to West Forty-second to look at guitars.

- I'm going to New Utrecht today. My daughter is getting married in June.

- How about Indian curry for lunch? East Eighth is just a couple of blocks from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back