[Vocabulary] 4 Ways to Give a Hearty Congratulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please tell me if congratulations is a singular and plural noun in English? I found [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] "4 says to give a hearty congratulations" on this website https://compasspaperco.com/blogs/news/4-ways-to-give-a-hearty-congratulations.

Please note my corrections above.

I find that use unnatural. To use the indefinite article, the word "congratulations" should be in quotes as if it's a statement.

How to give a hearty "Congratulations!"

There, it's like saying "How to give a hearty rendition of the word "Congratulations!"" The indefinite article is clearly related to the singular noun "rendition".

For the original, I would use "How to give hearty congratulations".

It seems natural to me, in the sense of: Four ways to give a hearty "Congratulations!"

It's like:

- Ten ways to give a pest a firm no

- Fifty ways to give the hostess a heartfelt thanks

- A dozen ways to wish your friends a warm season's greetings

It seems natural to me, in the sense of: Four ways to give a hearty "Congratulations!"

Absolutely, but it appears the original did not put congratulations in quotes to make it speech, but simply left it as a noun.

Last edited:
Absolutely, but it appears the original did not put congratulations in quotes to make it speech, but simply left it as a noun.
It didn't, and I wouldn't. Again, compare it to:

- I asked Mom, but she said no.

- I just called to say thanks.

I don't think any of us would put no or thanks in quotation marks. I see no reason to put hearty congratulations in quotation marks, either. I just showed it to you that way so you'd understand why I think that that part of the line is correct.

What I don't like is the digit 4. There's no good reason not to spell out Four.

I wouldn't put them in quotes either in those examples but neither of them used the indefinite article. I would use quotes in:

Mum gave me a flat "No!"

Italics would do for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back