Either of my sisters.........going to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
-is
-are
- is or are
My answer is is because either refers to one of two.
What do you think?

Whichever verb you use, the sentence is unnatural. Perhaps you mean 'One of my sisters is going to the club'.

What do you think?
I think you should mention the source of these exercises every time you post a question about them.

Most of us already know where they come from, but casual visitors to the forum are going to get the impression that they can get homework answers here, despite the statement in your signature line.

In this case, none of the options gives a natural sentence. You need to find a better source. Start by clicking here.

Last edited:
Whichever verb you use, the sentence is unnatural. Perhaps you mean 'One of my sisters is going to the club'.
Let me ask in another way.
Is either of followed by a singular , plural or both singular or plural verb?

No. You can't follow either of with a verb. You have to follow with a plural noun phrase.

either of them
either of the two options

No. You can't follow either of with a verb. You have to follow with a plural noun phrase.

either of them
either of the two options

Yes, you are right.
Is either of followed- with a plural noun phrase-followed by a singular , plural or both singular or plural verb?

Hello, abo.omar!

I think you misunderstand what both means. These two posts make me think so:

Is either of followed- with a plural noun phrase-followed by a singular , plural or both singular or plural verb?

Both means that you use the two options together, at the same time. That's why it usually collocates with and, not or. It expresses combination.
Either means that you use only one of the two options at a time, and if you don't use one, you use the other. That's why it usually collocates with or, not and. It expresses alternative.

I think what you meant to write was something along the lines of "Is either...or... treated as singular, plural, or either singular or plural?"

Now, because either means you choose only one of the two options, it should normally be treated as singular; normally, because the two options you can choose between can be plural on their own.

"We're in the grand final, and we already know that either Kate or Tom is going to win the tournament."
"We're in the grand final, and we already know that either the Grizzlies or the Cardinals are going to win the tournament."

That means the answer to your question is that either...or... is treated as either singular or plural, depending on what the two options are.

That being said, both...and... is always treated as plural because it combines the two options, and it always sounds like more than one item, i.e., plural.

"Both Kate and Tom are great players."
"Both the Grizzlies and the Cardinals are great teams."

Last edited:
And you can see none/neither of them is/are going, so there is no simple rule that governs this. It depends on things like the variant of English and the preferences of the speaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back