Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Are they following sentences correct and used properly?.

I were very busy toady. My schedules were full of planning,no any room for rest.

Are [STRIKE]they[/STRIKE] the following sentences correct and natural? [STRIKE]used properly?.[/STRIKE]

I [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE]
was [1] very busy today. My [2] schedule was [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] full, with no time [STRIKE]of planning,no any room[/STRIKE] for rest.

1: "I" is singular, so we need a singular verb.
2: People have one schedule (plan/agenda for the day), not several.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, you have made very basic mistakes. If you're going to try to write longer sentences, you really must have got to grips with the absolute basics first. Using "I were" shows us that you are still not ready and that you have not been studying at the right level.

If you can't get the most important verb in English ("to be") correct in the past simple (one of the easiest tenses), you're not ready for anything more complicated.

1: "I" is singular, so we need a singular verb.
2: People have one schedule (plan/agenda for the day), not several.

teechar,

1. I think you are wrong. I were...= my English teacher told me the word "I" can be used both "were" or "was".

2. I have more than one schedule, why can not add "s"?

1. I think you are wrong. I were...= my English teacher told me the word "I" can be used both "were" or "was".
"I were" is in the subjunctive mood, which is clearly wrong for the context above. Therefore, you need to use the singular verb "was"; "were" is wrong in that sentence.

2. I have more than one schedule, why can not add "s"?
A schedule is a list/plan/agenda/program for a certain duration (week, day, month, etc). Explain to us how you have more than one such schedule.

Last edited:
... my English teacher told me the word "I" can be used with both "were" or "was".
You have an English teacher? Great! Ask him/her to explain to you when 'I were' is correct.

A schedule is like a timetable, listing the things you do for the day. How many timetables can you follow?

You can say "if I were you", but that is for a higher level.

I think we are all a little surprised that you have an English teacher. To help us understand what is going on with your English study, please answer the following:

1. How often do you have lessons with your English teacher?
2. Are they one-to-one lessons (just you and the teacher) or in a group?
3. Is your teacher a native English speaker?
4. How long have you been having lessons?
5. Can you give us some examples of exercises you might do in a lesson?
6. How many hours of self-study do you do each week? Don't include time on this forum. Tell us how long you spend on your own, doing exercises from a text book, or reading very simple English texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back