India
Current Location
India
Direct to Indirect conversion

1. Direct “I'll phone you when I get back.”
Indirect She said that She would phone me when she got / gets back

Which is correct?

Last edited:
When are these being reported and what's the context? Grammar books often suggest a pedestrian conversion, while actual language usage takes context and meaning into account.

<Which is correct/>

<Which is correct/>

Why have you used the symbols in red above? There should be nothing before "Which" and there should be a question mark at the end of each question.

In the book 'English Grammar in Use" (Cambridge, Unit 47 on Reported speech - Page 94), the Direct Speech " I can't come to the party on Friday" is shown in the reported speech as 'She said that she couldn't come to the party on Friday.' I think the correct answer should be 'She said that she won't be able come to the party on Friday'.
I seek your guidance

Perhaps:

She said she can't come to the party on Saturday.

If the person is speaking before Saturday, then "She said she can't come to the party on Saturday" works. If the party has already happened, then it would be "She said she couldn't come to the party on Saturday".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back