Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I'm a friend of Susi.
I'm a friend of Paolo's.

From Collins Easy Learning - English Conversation
------------
Should the sentence in red be I'm a friend of Susi's?

CtEdGAw.png

We can say it either way.
Why? Could you tell me? I thought it grammatically wrong.:shock:

I thought it is I'm a friend of Susi's (friend).

Last edited:
I thought it is I'm a friend of Susi's (friend).
I'm a friend of Susi's means "I'm one of Susi's friends." It doesn't mean "I'm a friend of Susi's friend." You can also say something like Do you see the redhead at the bar? That's Susi. I'm a friend of hers.

I'm a friend of Susi's means "I'm one of Susi's friends." It doesn't mean "I'm a friend of Susi's friend."
How about I'm a friend of Susi's (friends)?

How about I'm a friend of Susi's (friends)?
I think you mean Among all of Susi's friends, I'm one of them. If so, you understand the expression right but you've expressed the idea wrong. The reader mentally removes the parentheses ("brackets" in BrE), yielding the unlikely sentence I'm a friend of Susi's friends.

I think you mean Among all of Susi's friends, I'm one of them. If so, you understand the expression right but you've expressed the idea wrong. The reader mentally removes the parentheses ("brackets" in BrE), yielding the unlikely sentence I'm a friend of Susi's friends.
Do you think the following mean the same thing?

a. I'm a friend of Susi.
b. I'm a friend of Susi's.

I don't think they do. I know they do.

If you're disturbed by this, I suggest you use the former. It's more logical and easier to say.

However, be aware that when using pronouns (as GoesStation usefully points out in post #5), you must use a possessive:

I'm a friend of hers.
She's a friend of mine.

You cannot say:

*I'm a friend of her.
*She's a friend of me.

I thought it grammatically wrong.

Grammar sometimes does not operate with the clarity and precision that some learners would like. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back