Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I'd massively appreciate your help. I've been left reeling after leaving a job that was very important both professionally and personally. I co-managed a coffee shop and after a disgruntled customer left a well-written complaint on the dreaded trip advisor my boss, the owner, made it clear I was guilty until proven innocent, so I left. It was another eruption in a long line directed at me alone and it has hit me hard. The owner was quite eccentric in a way and had a bit of a rep for being tricky to deal with but i feel betrayed and since this was my first shot at management I'm now doubting myself to the point it's becoming difficult to consider self-promotion at an interview.

I guess this isn't just for a cover letter but how I can word things in general when asked about previous employment. I can't appear to be criticizing an old boss!

I realise this may not be the usual thing you deal with but I thought it worth an ask.

Many thanks in advance

I'd massively appreciate your help. I've been left reeling after leaving a job that was very important both professionally and personally. I co-managed a coffee shop and, after a disgruntled customer left a well-written complaint on the dreaded TripAdvisor website, my boss, the owner, made it clear I was guilty until proven innocent, so I left. It was another eruption in a long line directed at me alone, and it has hit me hard. The owner was quite eccentric in a way and had a bit of a reputation for being tricky to deal with, but I feel betrayed and, since [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] that was my first shot at management, I'm now doubting myself to the pointit's becoming difficult to consider self-promotion at an interview.

I guess this isn't just for a cover letter but how I can word things in general when asked about previous employment. I can't appear to be criticizing an old boss!

I realise this may not be the usual thing you deal with, but I thought it worth an ask.

Many thanks in advance.

Hello Barnetto83, and welcome to the forum. :)
I am no expert on psychology, industrial relations or HR, but I'll say this: If you dwell on this, it'll only continue to impact you negatively. Lots and lots of people leave their jobs for an incredible variety of reasons. At future interviews, you are not obliged to delve into the details of what led to you leaving your job. You could frame it in a very general yet convincing way. For example,

I felt that I wasn't learning anything new or interesting in that position. Since the business was quite small, the scope for me to enhance my management skills was quite limited. I thought about it for a while, and I eventually decided it was time to move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back