[Vocabulary] what is a "canton" in this context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuaiLe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I came across this word twice while reading The Muse by Jessie Burton:

1. "...the woman stared up at the muscular satyr in the fountain, poised with his empty canton."
2. "The orchard was so lush you might call it a jungle, and the empty fountain had turned into a living spring, the satyr’s canton now gushing full of water."

The definitions I found in the dictionary include "a small territorial division of a country" and "a small, square division of a shield". But they don't seem to fit in the context here. I'm guessing if canton here refers to the fountain, as it's the satyr's territory. But if so, shouldn't the preposition be "in" instead of "with"? Since the canton here is related to satyr, I'm also guessing if it refers to his wine cup. But it seems canton just doesn't have this definition.

Does "canton" have other meanings? What does it refer to in the above context?

I've never heard canton in this sense, either. Canteen?

Typo for 'carton' perhaps, although that seems likely an unlikely word choice?

Edit:
Also, while on the wine notion, I vaguely remember from some art history classes, that the kylix was used for drinking, the krater for mixing wine, and the kyathos for serving.

Of course, he could also be holding an amphora, which was used for storing and shipping, but that's even more removed from the 'c/k' sound.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back