Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
If you use the modal hope, should it be followed only by will or could it also be would?

I am aware that if it is in its past tense, would is correct. However, does the rule also apply in its present tense?

Example:

I do hope you would.....

Thank you!

A number of tense-forms are possible after 'hope' for present or future time. 'Would' is not normally used, except in such constructions as 'would like', 'would rather'.

I hope he is enjoying his new job. Present time.
I hope he likes his new job. Present or future time, depending on context.
I hope he will like his new job. Future time.
I hope he is coming/is going to come tomorrow. Future time.

Other tenses are possible with other time references:

I hope he has passed his test.
I hope he got home safely last night.

If you use the modal hope, should it be followed only by will or could it also be would?

I am aware that if it is in its past tense, would is correct. However, does the rule also apply in its present tense?

Example:

I do hope you would.....

Thank you!

I hope you will...
I wish you would...

I hope you [will] pass your driving test (we would normally omit the word "will")
I wish you would close the door.

I hope you [will] have a good holiday.
I wish you would hurry up!

I can only think of one example of using "hope" and "would" in the same sentence:

Person A: I would go on holiday if I won the lottery.
Person B: I would hope you would!!! (Means the same as "I should think so too!")

I wish you would close the door.

I wish you would hurry up!
I knew I was taking a risk when I wrote, " 'Would' is not normally used, except in such constructions as 'would like', 'would rather' "!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back