Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi there, would you please tell me how to read 0.06? Is it zero point zero six?

In British English, I say nought point nought six.

Within one utterance, I would stick with either "zero", "nought" or "oh" for "0". Which one I use depends on the context. If I'm giving out my phone number to someone in person, I use "oh". If I'm saying it over the phone, I use "zero" to avoid any chance of the listener mishearing.

The first thing that came to my mind in post #1 was "nought point nought six", like Rover.

There's no absolute standard because we have zero/nought/oh, so use one that works and yours does.

Last edited:
I say "Point oh six."

That works in BrE too.

My old maths teacher, Ron Ganser, always used to say that as we write 0.06 and not .06 for the sake of clarity, we should say nought point nought six and not point nought six for the same reason.

Not a teacher
------

I'd probably go with "zero point zero six". I happily use naughts and ohs when it's just a string of digits, say, a phone number or a PIN code, but in my opinion, maths demands clarity, and I stick with zeros there.

Not a teacher
------

I'd probably go with "zero point zero six". I happily use naughts and ohs when it's just a string of digits, say, a phone number or a PIN code, but in my opinion, maths demands clarity, and I stick with zeros there.
Written, it's 0.06 or .06.

The way I learned it in high school math, the first zero on a written page or screen is just to call attention to the tiny decimal point. Spoken, "point" is said aloud. It's not tiny like a point on a page, so there's no need to precede it with a spoken "oh" or "zero." Therefore, out loud: point oh six. (Or point zero six or point nought six or whatever.)

(We rarely use naught or nought in the US. And we never use maths!)

Exactly. The leading zero is written to draw the eye to the tiny decimal point. Spoken it is not necessary. Possible, but not necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back