Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up:Although it was once funded entirely by the government, the Victoria and Albert Museum
was among the first of Britain’s national museums
to seek support from corporations and private donors
and to increase income by increasing attendance

:?: Can the part marked red be substituted by 【Britain's first national museums 】?
My answer is CAN.

Sincere thanks !

I wouldn't use it.

I agree with Tdol. I think the original is better.

Yesterday in a car I thought of "Jack's books", "Bruno's car"... "Jack" or "Bruno" denote person,
but "Britain" only means a country but not people,
so today I want to ask if the part marked red can be substituted by British first national museums.

(My answer is still CAN.:) )

You could make a case for your original substitution, but not this one.

Dodonaomik, please check the layout of your posts before submitting them. It appears that you, or your computer, starts a new line of text in random places or sometimes after a comma. This leads to your text looking very strange. The text should run all the way across the text box unless you are starting a new paragraph. You can click Edit Post and tidy your existing posts up. Thanks.

emsr2d2: Some original sentences sometimes really make me feel upset or troubled(Of course, I wouldn't give up English learning because of this "upset".), so I want to "cut" a sentence into a few paragraphes and the sentence seems "simpler". Thanks a lot for your reminding me and I will change my ”strange“ custom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back