Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi
what is the meaning of this sentence
"I am a large man, with rock- jawed head"

does it means that he has a big rock shape head?

I think it micht mean that they have a firm, strong jaw. It doesn't sound very natural to me- where did you see this?

I think it micht mean that they have a firm, strong jaw. It doesn't sound very natural to me- where did you see this?
first paragraph of the dice man by Luke Rhinehart

"I am a large man, with big butcher's hands, great oak thighs, rock- jawed head, and massive, thick-lens glasses."

He probably has a jaw like that of Desperate Dan.

What's the relevance of 'Shaving' in the thread title?

back to front.
Indeed! I think I just imagined an upside-down one because I'm so used to seeing them in Spanish!

Reactions: 5jj
He probably has a jaw like that of Desperate Dan.

What's the relevance of 'Shaving' in the thread title?
probably .. because then he compare himself to Clark Kent and we know superman has a big jaw like this character.. this is a famous comic character for American readers?

Probably no full stops here because then he compares himself to Clark Kent and we know Superman has a big jaw like this character. Is this is a famous comic character for American readers?

Note my corrections above. Remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter, capitalise all proper nouns, and end a sentence with just one appropriate punctuation mark.
Are you asking if Superman is well-known to Americans? That seems like an odd question given that he's an American character.

Indeed! I think I just imagined an upside-down one because I'm so used to seeing them in Spanish!
yes it is.. it just a question mark in Persian because we write right to left

Note my corrections above. Remember to start every new sentence with a capital letter, capitalise all proper nouns, and end a sentence with just one appropriate punctuation mark.
Are you asking if Superman is well-known to Americans? That seems like an odd question given that he's an American character.
no .. the Desperate Dan.

Yes, it is. It is just a question mark in Persian because we write right to left.

As I said in my last response, you must start every new sentence with a capital letter. We end sentences with one full stop. Don't put a space before it. See my corrections above.

Most Americans would not know of Desperate Dan. This was my first time hearing about the character.

There's a difference in the big-name graphic novel characters like Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc. and your smaller-scale comic strip characters such as Desperate Dan, Archie, Beetle Baily, etc. The latter are typically more regional, and don't often go international unless they're really, really popular.

Would Popeye's chin count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back