Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
What is the meaning of this phrase "never cease to surprise me". Does (?) I've used it rightly in this sentence: "editors of some dailies never cease to surprise me"

Thanks

***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker***

"never stop surprising me" sounds more natural to me.

What is the meaning of this phrase "never cease to surprise me". Does (?) I've used it rightly in this sentence: "editors of some dailies never cease to surprise me"

Thanks
***NOT A TEACHER***

razer, good morning.

(1) "The editors of some dailies never cease to surprise me."

(2) It means something like this: Every day they come up with something that surprises me. Cease = to stop. These editors never stop surprising me. Every day their newspapers have something that I never thought of or something that I thought they would be afraid to report.

(3) This sentence could be used in a good sense. (I never thought that newspaper would report the news about that corrupt politician.)

(4) Or it could be used in a negative sense. (That newspaper is always printing lies. But I never thought the editor would lie that much!)

Have a nice day!!!

***NOT A TEACHER***

razer, good morning.

(1) "The editors of some dailies never cease to surprise me."

(2) It means something like this: Every day they come up with something that surprises me. Cease = to stop. These editors never stop surprising me. Every day their newspapers have something that I never thought of or something that I thought they would be afraid to report.

(3) This sentence could be used in a good sense. (I never thought that newspaper would report the news about that corrupt politician.)

(4) Or it could be used in a negative sense. (That newspaper is always printing lies. But I never thought the editor would lie that much!)

Have a nice day!!!

Thanks

Cease = stop. Never cease = not stop
Editors of some dailies do not stop surprising me.
Editors of some dailies always surprise me.

razer: no problem with the way you stated it.

Thanks
Yes, you have used it correctly. It's "have" rather than "does".

the phrase "never cease to" is common usage. E.g. I never cease to wonder at his stupidity.

Originally Posted by razer

Thanks

Yes! your sentence is correct.

Thank you for your useful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back